The Giant’s House: A Romance by Elizabeth McCracken

A Big, Unforgettable Friendship

The Giant’s House by Elizabeth McCracken is about a librarian who forms a friendship with an overly tall boy.  She calls it love, and it is a love story.  But a different kind of love. It’s not the sordid sort that makes you cringe.  It’s not about an older teacher-type woman taking advantage of a younger student.  This is a touching tale about Peggy Cort and James Sweatt.  Peggy is a single woman others would call a spinster.  But that word conjures up images of a bitter, lonely woman, which she definitely is not.  Peggy doesn't require companionship with many friends or even a husband to make her life feel full. Instead, she opens her heart to this unusually tall boy.  James first came to her library when he was a 6’2” eleven-year-old; she was twenty five; it was 1950. Slowly she helps him not only in the world of books, but in general.  She becomes a caring friend, and he becomes a precious gift to her. Miss Cort narrates the story looking back on her life, and it “McCrackles” with a blunt, honest, and dryly humorous tone. Her voice is luring. It flows easily and lightly.  I could “listen to her” all day long.  I think this book is one of those treasures that will stay with me a long time. Peggy and James are unforgettable. This book was a nice, giant surprise and shot right up there on my list of favorites.

**On a side note, it saddens me to say that my mother did not care for the book as much as I did.  She stopped reading it--said it didn't grab her.  There was too much talking, not enough action.  :(  So, who's right, me or my mom? Anyone?

I loved him because I wanted to save him, and because I could not.
Elizabeth McCracken, The Giant’s House (New York: Avon Books, 1997), 89.

My parents were frugal and did not even give me a middle name.
Elizabeth McCracken, The Giant’s House (New York: Avon Books, 1997), 86.

I am happy with my life largely because it is my life. How many regrets can I have?
Elizabeth McCracken, The Giant’s House (New York: Avon Books, 1997), 144.

Happy reading!
Annette


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus

The Little Italian Hotel by Phaedra Patrick

All the Broken Places by John Boyne