Favorite Books of 2014

Annette's 2014 Book Winners

Below are the books I have read in 2014. You can read reviews on almost all of them. I’ve noted the ones that stood out as my favorites.  Favorites is a hard game to play, and I wanted to mark so many more that stood out, but in the end I bit the bullet and only chose the top two or three in a category.  As a side note, just because I didn’t write a review on the book, doesn’t mean I didn’t like it.

Click on the titles to read the reviews.

Fiction:

Babayaga by Toby Barlow 

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter

The Chili Queen by Sandra Dallas


Dog On It by Spencer Quinn

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok 

This charming book rocketed up to win my “favorite book of the year award. 

Heartburn by Nora Ephron

The Hundred-FootJourney by Richard C. Morais

The J.M. Barrie Ladies' Swimming Society by Barbara Zitwer 

Lady at the O.K.Corral by Ann Kirschner

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

A Long Way Down Nick Hornby


The Painted Girls Cathy Marie Buchanan

Serendipity by Louise Shaffer 

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

This book rises to sit among the favorites. 

Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez

by Maria Semple
Another star of 2014.

Action/Suspense:
This category is a win/win situation.  Both books were great and I can’t decide if one was better than the other.

Gone Girl Gillian Flynn

Zoo by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge

Biographies/Memoirs:

Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah
Great book.  If you enjoyed The Glass Castle, there’s a good chance you’ll like this book.

I Guess I Missed the Boat by Barry Finlay

Two Wheels North by Evelyn McDaniel Gibb

Classics:

The Awakening by Kate Chopin

The Body Snatcher by Robert Louis Stevenson  (Short story)

The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde (Short story)

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (Play)

by Washington Irving  (Short story)

The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (Short story)
Short and unusual, this book was a like discovering an odd treasure.  I liked the originality of it.

Moby-Dick by Herman Melville

Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway


Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw  (Play)

Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier
No surprise here, I’ve read and reviewed this book twice.  It’s one of my favorites of all time, so naturally it lands as number one on my classics list of 2014.

Happy Reading,
Annette



Comments

Kafka is odd. (But I like odd.) I am reading Metamorphosis this coming year, so it is encouraging to see that you gave it special recognition. Have you read The Trial?
Hi Ruth. I have not read The Trial yet. It's on my long list, though. I'd be curious to know how you liked it if you read it before I do.
Happy New Year! Happy Reading! Annette

Popular posts from this blog

All the Broken Places by John Boyne

The Little Italian Hotel by Phaedra Patrick

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus