Still Life with Chickens by Catherine Goldhammer

The Chicken-Driven Life

Still Life with Chickens by Catherine Goldhammer is a memoir about a woman who divorces and must sell her home in an upscale neighborhood.  She buys a smaller home (which probably still cost twice as much my home) on a six-mile peninsula on the Massachusetts coast where she begins a new life with her daughter, massive renovations, and chickens.

Like the title suggests, chickens play a major role in this book: the care, the coop, the eggs, the money, the time commitment, as well as the responsibilities that come with ownership. And while, in general, I have no great interest in chickens, nor do I have a desire to bring any home (except the roasted kind), I did find interest in these chickens and Catherine’s story about starting over. I liked her energy, enthusiasm, and “go-get-em” attitude.  I enjoyed this brief memoir about hope and determination…..and chickens.

Update: My sister read it too, and really liked it!
This book met two of my 2015 Book Challenges:  Read a memoir; read a book about animals. 


Happy Reading,
Annette


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus

The Little Italian Hotel by Phaedra Patrick

All the Broken Places by John Boyne