A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

What Creates a Curmudgeon?

Ove is a 59-year-old man forced into early retirement.  Now his life seems to have no purpose.  He’s as sour as a lemon, as irritable as a raging rash.  As new neighbors move in, Ove is forced into something else he doesn’t want—interacting with other people.  Slowly, we learn Ove’s personal history and find out that retirement is not the only reason he’s bitter.  And slowly we also see Ove change.

This book is an amusing, heart-breaking, insightful look into what shapes a man’s life, his heart, and personality.  Very touching.  Very good. I can’t imagine that anyone would not love this book as much as I did.  A real gem.

This book met one of my 2016 reading challenges:  Read a book with a person’s name in the title.

Happy Reading,
Annette


Comments

My favorite book of 2014. Then his next novel became my favorite book of 2015. I can hardly wait to read his third novel - which I'm sure will make my 2016 top ten list!
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

All the Broken Places by John Boyne

The Little Italian Hotel by Phaedra Patrick

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus