Ready to Test Your Knowledge? Take the Quiz First:
See the Answers Below
1. What was the pen name Charlotte used?
a. Currer Bell
b. Charlie Bean
c. Chuck Brawntee
2. Charlotte Brontë died:
a. While pregnant with her first child. Conflicting sources state the cause of death as complications from her pregnancy or tuberculosis.
b. From a stroke
c. When she fell off a horse
3. How old was Charlotte when she died?
4. Which one of these books did Charlotte NOT write?
c The Tenant of Wildfell Hall – written by her sister, Anne.
5. In Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre, what is the name of the man who runs the Lowood boarding school?
a. Mr. Brocklehurst
b. Mr. Stinkleheimer
c. Father Smith
6. In Jane Eyre, what happens to Jane’s best friend, Helen Burns, at Lowood?
a. She is sent to the chokey for punishment
b. She runs away and elopes
c. She dies of consumption in Jane’s arms
7. In Jane Eyre, what was the profession of Adèle Varen’s mother?
a. She was a dancer
b. She was a washer woman
c. She was a midwife
8. What is the name of Edward Rochester’s estate in Jane Eyre?
a. Tara – Is Scarlett O’Hara’s plantation in Gone with the Wind
b. Thornfield Hall
c. Pemberley – Is Mr. Darcy’s estate in Pride and Prejudice
9. When was Jane Eyre published?
How much do you know about Poe? 10/19/14
1. Edgar Allan Poe was born in:
b. Massachusetts (Boston to be exact, on January 19, 1809. He died at the age of 40 on October 7, 1849.)
2. How old was Poe’s cousin, Virginia Clemm, at the time of their wedding?
b. 13 (He was 26)
3. Which actor starred in numerous films based on Edgar Allan Poe’s writing?
a. Bela Lugosi (Played Count Dracula in the 1931 film.)
b. Boris Karloff (Played Frankenstein’s monsters in the 1931 film.)
c. Vincent Price (House of Usher, 1960; Tales of Terror, 1960 in which he played Fortunato from the The Cask of the Amontillado; The Pit and the Pendulum, 1961; The Raven (loosely based on the poem), 1963; The Masque of the Red Death, 1964; and he also narrated An Evening with Edgar Allan Poe in 1970.)
4. Which of these is not written by Edgar Allan Poe?
a. The Tell-Tale Heart
c. The Monkey’s Paw (Written by W.W. Jacobs)
5. What was the name of Roderick’s twin sister in The Fall of the House of Usher?
6. Edgar Allan Poe died of:
b. Alcoholism (This is actually a trick question, as Poe’s death is a mystery. A few days before his death, Poe was found in a disheveled, delirious state wandering around Baltimore in clothes that were not his own. He was taken to a hospital where he died four days later. There are several theories of the cause of death including brain fever, alcoholism, tuberculosis, diabetes, rabies, murder, suicide, cholera, influenza, syphilis and heart disease.
c. Opium overdose (A year prior to his death, Poe almost died from an overdose of laudanum which contains opium and morphine. Laudanum was used as a pain killer and tranquilizer, and it is not known if Poe attempted suicide or didn’t read the directions for the prescribed dosage.)
Oscar Wilde Quiz 10/12/14
1. In The Picture of Dorian Gray, who was Dorian’s love interest?
a. Sibyl Vane
b. Catherine Barkley (Is Frederic Henry’s love in A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway) Click to read review.
c. Zeena Frome (Is Ethan Frome’s wife in Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton) Click to read review.
2. Oscar Wilde was born in:
b. Ireland (Dublin to be exact in 1854)
3. Oscar Wilde was convicted and sentenced to two years hard labor for:
c. Gross Indecency
4. In The Canterville Ghost, the Otis twins were affectionately known as:
a. Rock’em and Sock’em
b. Heckle and Jeckle
c. Stars and Stripes
5. In his lifetime, how many novels did Oscar Wilde publish:
a. 1 (The Picture of Dorian Gray was his only novel. Wilde was most noted as a playwright, but also wrote poems, short stories, and even fairy tales)
6. Which of these is not written by Oscar Wilde?
a. The Metamorphosis (Written by Franz Kafka about a man who wakes up as a bug.) Click to read review.
b. A House of Pomegranates(Collection of Wilde’s fairy tales published in 1891)
c. The Ballad of the Reading Gaol (Poem published in 1898 about an execution at Reading (prison) in Berkshire, England.
7. Which museum displays the painting “Picture of Dorian Gray” by Ivan Albright which was used in the 1945 film “The Picture of Dorian Gray” starring Angela Lansbury.
a. The National Gallery in London
b. Art Institute of Chicago
c. Los Angeles County Museum of Art
1. Complete the title of one of GarcÍa Márquez’s famous novels, “Love in the Time of …”
2. Complete the title of one of GarcÍa Márquez’s famous novels, “One Hundred Years of…”
c. Solitude – The saga of the BuendÍa family written in a magical realism style.
3. GarcÍa Márquez was born in
4. What prize did he win in 1982?
c. Nobel Prize in Literature – for his novels and short stories.
5. Gabriel was affectionately known as …
6. What city did he call home?
a. Mexico City – He settled in Mexico City, Mexico in the 60s and died there on April 17, 2014 at the age of 87.
7. Which of the following novellas did GarcÍa Márquez not write?
a. Chronicles of a Death Foretold – About a murder, written in a pseudo-journalistic style.
b. Memories of My Melancholy Whores – A ninety-year-old man decides to celebrate his birthday by having sex with a fourteen-year-old virgin.